Monday, March 15, 2010

Internet Safety and Digital Citizenship

Part of what it means to have "Digital Citizenship" is having a positive attitude toward using technology that supports collaboration and learning. That's what I want to do with this blog: I want to teach and to learn. I hope that readers will comment on my posts so that learning will become a collaborative experience: you learn from what I write, I learn from your comments, I rewrite, you comment again, etc.

I decided to write this blog because I believe in writing artist statements, and I want to share what I believe with others. In the comments section of every post, I can receive feedback. Because my blog is open to the public, I feel a responsibility to provide valid information to my readers. I can't just say whatever I want, insult people, or behave in an inappropriate way, because then no one will want to know what I have to say.

Although I don't have students right now and don't have to worry about getting parental permission for the use of this blog, it is still smart to be smart. Therefore, I will not talk about my personal life on this blog. I'm not linking this blog to my twitter for that reason. I take this blog seriously, posting only things that I've thought a lot about and mean a lot to me. This isn't a diary. I take responsibility for this blog, and I will only post things that I'm comfortable sharing with everyone, even my future students and their parents.

Expressing my ideas is paramount, but I will not generalize or use disrespectful or negative language. I will support my ideas with evidence, and if I make mistakes, tell me and I will fix them.

I would expect my future students to act in a similar way. Therefore, the following is a sample contract I would have my students read, understand, and sign before using a blog for my class:

CONTRACT FOR FUTURE STUDENTS

I have a responsibility to be respectful to my readers: I won't be insulting or inappropriate.

I have a responsibility to my school: I won't talk about my personal life, and I won't link to my personal email or any other social networking sites.

This blog is serious: I will only post things that I've thought a lot about, mean a lot to me, and feel comfortable sharing with everyone.

I have a responsibility to tell the truth: I will support my ideas with reputable evidence, and I will fix the mistakes I make.

Signed: Lorraine's future student :)

(thanks to these sites for providing source information for this post: http://nets-implementation.iste.wikispaces.net/Digital+Citizenship, http://tinyurl.com/ydh2yml, and http://livingstonweb20.wikispaces.com/bloggingguidelines)

2 comments:

  1. I like the design of your blog, Lorraine, looks good! Sometimes people post on Twitter when they have a new blog post and invite their followers to comment - I think you can also add a "Tweet This" widget to your blogger blog if you want.

    Thanks for your participation in EDCG611
    -- Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. To clarify this comment, I'm not going to add a "Tweet This" widget here because my twitter is my personal account and this blog is professional. But, I always will try to remember to invite my friends on twitter to read my blog updates. Now that I think of it, I will do that right now!

    ReplyDelete